Saturday, December 22, 2012

Negitive space? by Jason

For starters, I thought of taking photos around the house on the odd occasion when there are dishes in the sink or kitty litter on the floor. Pictures of this would relay put Corina into a negative space...  :D 

Well, now actually the snow relay did afford some opportunity to show some negative space options. Lots of white on white. Camera in hand I set off down Tachet. This first one is in font of St Boniface Basilica. The snow had accumulated on the trees and grave stones along with the overcast sky and flakes in the air. It made for a nice high contrast black bark and marble and all that white.



#1 St. Boniface Basilica grounds 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100, 18mm

Same situation I just turned around added the dramatic round opening of the old facade. The slight over expose of the sky does not bother me. I think it emphasizes the negative space.

#2 St. Boniface Basilica 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100, 24mm

Now from the "inside" of the old facade. If you look close you can see the flakes. I like this little detail.


#3 St. Boniface Basilica 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100, 18mm

I could not help myself with this next one. I love the collecting snow on the hair and eyebrows. I thinks the snow makes a very dramatic pop on this bust of Louis Reil. The bust contrast nicely with the falling snow as well. Over all it is my favorite. 


#4 St. Boniface Museum 1/125, f/5.6, ISO 160, 55mm

So we hand shots like this in the summer that had some nice contrast. In the winter with the snow falling the sky and the foreground are nearly the same shade. I like how the buildings look like they have been cut out.


#5 St. Winnipeg skyline 1/200, f/7.1, ISO 100, 48mm

With the next two shots I wanted to have both high contrast and texture I like how the textural element accuncaites the negative space

#6 Shrubery 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100, 24mm



#7 Tree 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 100, 26mm

No comments:

Post a Comment